- 1 loaf of crusty rustic bread cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup of High-Hand Olive Oil Company’s Traditional Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus 2 tablespoons of olive oil separated
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Toss the bread, seasonings, and 1/4 cup olive oil together in a bowl and let stand for 5-10 minutes for olive oil to absorb into the bread.
- Preheat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat until you see it start to see a shimmer/bubbling.
- Test the temperature by placing one bread cube in the oil. If you have the correct temp, the oil will start to bubble up around the bread cube’s edges.
- Add the rest of your bread, making sure to keep it to a single layer. If you can’t, cook the rest in a second batch.
- Let it cook for about half a minute to a minute until you see a nice golden brown on the bottom.
- Grab your tongs and turn them over and let cook for about another minute.
- Take one out and let it cool before tasting. You want a crunchy exterior with a soft and tasty olive oil interior. If you cook too long they will be too crunchy from over frying.
Note: You can change the flavors of this recipe by using other High-Hand Olive Oil Company oils as well as tossing the croutons with Parmesan cheese or other spices.